My Dynasty IDP team has underperformed at 1-3. Despite being the 5th highest scoring team in the league, I have a 3-game losing streak. My early round picks have busted so far while many of my keepers have underperformed or are out for the season. With the draft cost going up a round each season, it’s imperative to have late keepers. Once a player hits the 4th round he must go back into the player pool. I have multiple options to go in a keeper format. 1. Staying the course, I’ve had a stretch of bad luck and with the talent are due for a market correction. 2. I could mortgage my future to try to buy from the bottom feeder teams to get back into the race. 3. Sell off whatever value I had to rebuild my team for next year. If I strike lightning in a bottle and contend with the rebuild great.
A post on the league message board went up with the words fire sale and that got the ball rolling. I decided to sell off as many non-keeper pieces and or keeper pieces to improve my collective group of keeper players. Tight End and Running Back were the positions I was looking to upgrade. I believe all of these trades help me long term and help my competitors to compete this season. The years of control are listed by each player. The reality is those numbers won’t be fully exercised. Here’s a breakdown of my 5 trades in 24 hours.
- Give away QB Kyler Murray (1 year) of control remaining along with TE Mark Andrews (5 years) and WR DJ Chark (0) for WR DK Metcalf (6 years), QB Deshaun Watson (5 years) and a 20th RD pick. I’m thrilled with the ability to keep Metcalf and Watson long term. He gets to keep Andrews for 5 years and adds another WR1 in Chark to push for this season. This owner is typically among the contenders due to good drafting late and a willingness to go for it.
- Send Jamal Adams (18 years of control) for a 15th RD pick. This is a new owner that was looking to acquire a cheap long term keeper and was willing to spend to do so. In last year’s draft, I didn’t have enough picks in the teens range to gamble on rookies.
- DE Josh Allen (16 years ), LB Khalil Mack (17 years ), and TE Logan Thomas (25 years) for TE Austin Hooper (16 years). Hooper was paid a lot of money by Cleveland. I’m surprised he hasn’t been more involved in the Browns offense. This is a buy-low for me at a thin position in this league. We have to play 2 TE each week. It hurt to give away Josh Allen. I think he’s a stud. You have to give up talent to get talent.
- Trade later in the day with the team from Trade 3. LB Deion Jones (14 years), LB Darius Leonard (20 years), and RB David Montgomery (0) for RB James Conner (10 years). I needed a solid RB keeper and found one in Conner. I own the potential handcuff already in Anthony McFarland. This owner reloaded his defense trading away keeper depth and is looking to make a push for the title. I give him a lot of credit in going for it.
- Raiders RB Josh Jacobs (0) for Raiders TE Darren Waller (20 years ). In making the decision to rebuild, Waller was my number 1 target. I was going to sell off whatever was needed to do so. This owner is the defending champion and has the depth to cover losing Waller. Injuries to his RB’s made this trade an option.
I wasn’t expecting to be able to make this many trades so quickly. It was a lot of fun to do so. The team is reloaded with new talent at positions of weakness. I believe this team is in a much better situation long term. It’s possible the moves can jump start a turnaround. Long term, we’ll see if my selling early was the right choice.